Wednesday, March 14, 2007

































































































































Well - as promised - a couple of days late - but hey - noone is perfect - here are some pics of the new kitchen. It is about 2.5 times bigger than the original one. In the pics where you can see the stove - the kitchen ended at that wall that goes behind it - so it was tiny to say the least. I am so glad to have a bigger kitchen - makes cooking so much more enjoyable - although maybe I should have left it tiny and cramped so I would not enjoy cooking and baking nearly as much. The fridge has three doors. The top - as usual - is the freezer - and the bottom door opens up the vegetable crisper - so you are not opening it up every tim you go into the fridge - kind of neat. I am planning on getting a freezer - all I have seen here are upright freezers - and they are kind of neat - no shelves - just drawers - so we will see how that goes. Am kind of anxious to get one soon as strawberries are in season and I would love to buy a whole wack of them and freeze them for in the summer - they are sooo expensive - 2.5 LE a kilo - about 50 cents CAD - oh hurt me - bought two kilos last night - got one kilo for 2 LE and the other for 2.5 LE - gotta keep up that dollar averaging. Came home and washed one of the kilos and then had some with cream - mmmmmm - then had a second helping this morning before I went for my walk. Must admit walking is a tad bit painful at the moment as I have developed blisters on the back of my heels - not sure why as they are not new shoes - and had worn them walking a few days before the blisters developed - very frustrating and makes the first 15 minutes quite uncomfortable. Today I stopped at my SIL's place and picked up Mawada and walked with her to school - Mahmood asked me if I could go walking at 6 so he could come with me - I said sure - no problem - am awake then anyway - having a tough time with getting sleep these nights. Last night was even worse than usual - was very windy - so it was very noisey - windows rattling - YUCK. When I made it outside it was kind of cool - and of course very sandy - so did not go for a prolonged walk - but long enough to get my heart rate going. Am faced with dusting - although not sure I should bother - as it is windy - and nothing here is sealed properly - will just end up with another fine layer of sand - not dust - but sand to work at tomorrow. Actually got the dishes done and the kitchen tidied - finished cleaning up the master bedroom - keep putting off the 'dusting' - because it seems to be such a futile task - but alas cannot leave it nearly as long as I managed to in Canada - if I did I think I would have my own personal desert in the apartment. Because I do not have carpets I sweep every other day - and the amount of sand I collect always surprises me - especially when Aymn is not around - of course when he is around there seems to be twice as much sand - he has trouble with the concept of taking your outdoor shoes off when you come in - and then switching sandals when you go out on the balcony - so you can leave the dirt outside instead of bringing it in - he claims it is because there are no carpets - and that is the way it is going to stay until the windows are fixed so they are better sealed - so when it rains I do not have floods.

6 comments:

Safa said...

Oh hey....the kitchen looks GREAT! I love that color.....and isn't that window in that little corner just perfect for when u are preparing foods? I love a sunny kitchen! (and a table in there too!!) About the freezer...well I have a deep freezer....bought it here in 97....and if you think about it...u've seen lots of deep freezers here......don't u ever buy glass bottle of pop? AHA! I think my freezer is made by the company called Alaska.....how fitting.

Egyptians like deep freezers so they can divide up their smells....fish in one drawer, veggies in the other....that's the reasoning I heard when I went against everyone and bought my deep freezer.

If you are want to freeze some peas...now is the time. They should be down to about $2 LE a kg.....buy at least 5 KGS....and shell them all....get some little bags...u can buy them by the KG from the milk man....and freeze them up. I have already put some away.....and there is also the green fuul....looks like HUGE peas....I swear it tastes like lima beans....I always do a few KGS of that and put it in my soup......

Great about the walking....I used to be a 6 am walker.....and it's the BEST time of day, really. Don't expect any enthusiasts to keep up with you tho......

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE PICS! Man that is a lot of tile that I see. It must of taken a long time to do that. When you say you water down the bathroom, is that because it is ALL tile? What an easy way to clean up. And no touch ups of paint.

Safa said...

Oh lynn....you have no idea how easy washing the floor is in Egypt....what a joke. There's a drain in the floor in all the bathrooms....u just throw down tons of water, some soap.....wash it up with a mop, and then with one of those window squeegees with a long handle....drag all the water to the drain....VOILA! Sparkling!

But I swear....u make it all up in the dusting.....sigh. Pledge does NOTHING here......

Susan said...

First time to this blog, but I must say, love your kitchen. Many of our "cairo kitchens" were a bit too small or impractical. Between this and the terrace, you're set!

egianqueen said...

Cairogal, I hear you about the small, impractical kitchens - when I bought the place the kitchen was teeny weeny - hence the renovations - broke down one wall and built another. Hope you enjoy the blog.

Anonymous said...

salaam
what a beautifull kitchen you have masha allah!! very nice.you have inspired me sister.