Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ta da - I am a grandma - Miles and Shani had their twin boys on August 9th at 11:00 p.m.  They did not have names picked out for them - so they were referred to as Baby A - who weighed in at 5 lbs. and Baby B - who came in at nearly 4 lbs. - 3 lbs. 15 oz. to be exact.  Shani had gone for her usual appointment and on the way home her water broke - so she made her way to the Foothills and they hooked her up to a monitor and told her she was in labour - pains were obviously not very bad as she was not feeling a thing. 

Shani was released from the hospital on Friday and the twins were moved from Foothills to the Peter Lougheed Centre - not at all convenient as Miles and Shani live in the SW - they were asked where they wanted the boys to go and they chose Rockyview - but they were full - so why bother to ask.  Of course the transfer was a good news bad news scenario - good news because it meant the condition of the twins was not as grave as it had been meaning they could be transferred out of the Level 3 NICU to a Level 2 NICU - which is great - but then they were transferred to the hospital furthest from them - which means a lot of travel time.  Unfortunately, Shani was left with an epidural headache - one of the side effects of having an epidural - which meant every time she was vertical she was in a great deal of pain.

I received some pictures from Miles on Thursday - they had been taken by Shani's brother Dennis - and of course I needed to see them in person - Marian suggested I take Friday off work - a no go as I need to earn as much money as possible - but then she suggested we drive down Friday after I finish work - I was desperate to see 'my' boys - so I phoned Miles and asked if I could bunk with them for part of Friday night and Saturday night so I could see the boys - he allowed as how I must be 'desperate' to see them - and he was right - as it is an 8 hour trip to make on a two day weekend - just a bit nuts - but then.....

So Friday after work Marian picked me up - a tad on the late side and we drove down to Calgary - we arrived around 2 a.m. - I got to bed around 2:30 a.m. after having a shower and had to get up early - 6:30 a.m. - as Miles wanted to have a shower before we were going to head to the hospital in the morning - so I needed to get up early enough so I could shower before Miles did - yes I shower twice a day - we headed out to the hospital around 8:30 a.m. - made it for their 9:00 feeding.

When the babies were being transferred it was impressed upon Miles and Shani that they boys needed names.  So let me introduce you to Austin Miles Myers (previously referred to as Baby A) and Lincoln Gordon Myers (Baby B). 

They are so cute - and oh so tiny - remember my 'baby' was 9 lb. 3 oz. - I have never held such little ones.

When we got to the hospital Shani fed Austin and I snaffled Lincoln and fed him - unfortunately I was sitting on my iPod so was unable to take many pictures of him - and it is tough to get your mitts on him because Miles loves to cuddle with him.  I do have pictures which I will endeavour to upload one of these evenings when I have more time.

Lincoln had been hooked up to a CPap machine - to help him with his breathing for the first couple of days - but he was off that before he was transferred - both boys are hooked up to a monitor to check on their heart rates, oxygenation, respirations, etc.  as well he had an IV to supplement his diet.   Austin was hooked up to the CPap machine for a very short period of time and also an IV - but he was taken off the IV before they transferred. 

Managed to spend nearly 8 hours at the hospital with the boys on Saturday - then headed back to Fort McMurray Sunday morning - as we both had to be back to work on Monday.  It was hard to leave my boys behind - but it was certainly wonderful to see what a good daddy Miles is going to be.  He was looking after the twins as well as Shani - he even changed a poopy diaper on Saturday.  He had been bragging that he had not yet had to change a dirty diaper - and voila both boys pooped themselves - and I was given the honour of changing Austin while Miles changed Lincoln - I have it on video.

Talked with Miles and the boys are doing well.  Lincoln no longer has an IV - woo hoo.  And Austin nursed 2 or 3 times today and Lincoln managed to nurse once - which is really good as they have been being fed via bottles - and it is a challenge to get them working for their food now.  Lincoln gained a bit of weight today while Austin held his own. 

And that is my life in a nutshell - and I need to call it a night and get some sleep.  Tomorrow seems to come awfully fast these days - and my body is not thrilled with not having a day of rest over the weekend - and going on very little sleep as well.  If I want to make it through this week with my 'sanity' intact and no more injuries I need to get some sleep.

So until tomorrow or so - TTFN.