Thursday, June 28, 2007

Well, it has been an eventful week - culminating in one last trip out to the airport - went out this afternoon and got my last bag - woo hoo - must admit that going to the airport four times in the last week was about three times too often - but it appears that the broken baggage belt at Heathrow has finally been fixed - when I was out there this afternoon there was a pile of about 50 suitcases waiting to be reunited with their owners. Must admit that I am certainly glad that I did not lose my luggage on the way to Canada - this way was inconvenient enough.

I arrived home last Thursday - around 10:30 or so at night - only 3 hours late - after having the privilege of sitting in the plane on the tarmac for 3 hours - I was sure that my luggage would make it - after all they had over four hours to get it from one plane to the other - but alas and alack it was not to be. Aymn and Sharon were at the airport to meet me - must admit that I was certainly not very good company - managed to catch a cold Tuesday night - so was sicker than a dog - and am still working at getting over it. My worst problem is that due to flying my right ear is really bunged up - I cannot hear much out of it - most annoying. I am still coughing - not nearly as much - and it is certainly a lot looser. I got off the airplane at the airport and felt like I had walked into a steam room - it was hot and tres humide - I had conveniently forgotten about the humidity - felt like a slap in the face - YUCK. Has been hot and humid all week - surprise, surprise - since it is summer. And of course Alex is very crowded - population has just about doubled - the holidayers are here in force - the beaches are very crowded as are the streets - and of course the noise is much worse - but it is only for two months or more - so ....

We have a family of 'rats' or whatever - they have nested underneath one of the gardens - they have chewed up the styrofoam and made a nice pile of it on the deck - and of course they love to come in - so I am forced to keep the windows and doors closed - so it is very hot in the flat. Suzanne had made arrangements for a carpenter to come and measure the doors and windows to put in screens and whatever - so that I can leave the windows open and keep the critters out. Aymn and I went to the workshop Tuesday night - and we both agreed that he appears to do good work - so Aymn gave him 600 LE to start the work - said it would be done in 20 days - and the total for the work is 850 LE - not bad - considering there are 3 patio doors and 5 windows that need to be modified. Aymn left for Libya Tuesday night - only to have to come back before he arrived - he had had a fight with Ahmed on the phone - guess the kids were going out to Suzanne's on Wednesday - as was I - and Aymn insisted that the only way they could go was if they promised to treat me properly - and Amal took exception to this and the fight was on - he phoned me Wednesday morning and told me he needed to see me - and of course my mind starts going a mile a minute - then he phoned and said he was leaving for Libya - he needed to get to Edjabya to file a complaint against a truck driver who owes him over 2,000 LE - the border police were waiting for Aymn to file the complaint before they could do anything - so off he went.

Suzanne and her family have moved to a town 80 km west of Alex - I believe it is called Mahmoudia - don't quote me - but Mr. Sadee works there - and he was spending about 5 hours a day commuting - so since there was a flat available for them - they have moved - I am really going to miss them. Yesterday - Wednesday - we went out and saw where they live - the flat is right on the Nile River - they have access to a yard - and it is really a villa not an apartment building - so I think it will be much better for the kids - especially the youngest one. They have a very large balcony - with a grape arbour on it - complete with grapes - they can fish from the balcony - the apartment is very strangely laid out - by western standards - but quite common for country living - it needs a lot of work - does not look as if anyone has lived in it for quite some time - a lot of the glass in the windows is broken - fine for now - but they will need to be fixed before winter. It is quite an old building - with 10 foot ceilings and equally large windows. The older kids are not happy - but such is life. Aymn was sure they would not move because the Mahmoud did not want to - but common sense prevailed - and it is much better for them to live there where there dad works - rather than have him away so much. I just need to be very careful or I will be the taxi from Alex to Mahmoudia for the family. Last night I insisted on leaving by 7 p.m. - did not want to make the drive in the dark - will be leaving early for quite some time until I am really familiar with the road - driving after dark is very dangerous in this country. Trucks, cars, whatever, just stop on the road - no lights - no warning - so if you are not vigilant you will end up crashing into them. Plus because it is in the country - lots of donkey pulled carts, etc. Mr. Mossad insisted on driving back with us - I had dragged Sharon with me for company - and I just about made him get out and walk - he kept giving me driving advice - telling me to watch out for this or that - of which I am quite aware since I drive on a regular basis in this wonderful country.

Yesterday on our way driving to Suzanne's I got a phone call from Aymn - and after thinking about it he feels that the carpenter is overcharging us - so he talked with Mom and she is supposed to go and tell the fellow not to do any work on it until Aymn talks to him - so much for getting anything done. This drives me crazy - he says yes - and then pulls back. He always feels that someone is taking advantage and then of course nothing gets done.

Today Sharon and I drove out to Carrefour and did some shopping and window shopping as well - it is so hot it is wonderful to drive around in my a/c car and spend time in the a/c malls and shops. Then shortly after we got home I got a call from the airport - my last piece of luggage had arrived - so they sent a limousine to pick me up and take me - and I invited Sharon - it is a long boring drive on your own. Aymn and I had gone out Saturday to get the first piece of luggage, the Sunday night I went out with the limousine on my own - then today my last piece was reunited with me - YEAH.

After promising me at least four days when I got home - and being incensed when I said - yeah sure - will believe it when I see it - Aymn ran back to the family when they arrived back in Alex from Marsa Matrouh on Saturday night - after all he had not seen them for 2 whole days - minor detail that he had not seen me for 5.5 weeks - so nothing has changed - why am I not surprised.

I think the family is expecting me to go to Suzanne's tomorrow - but I am going to stay home and get the unpacking done. Must admit that when I came back in January and arrived back home around 3 a.m. - with no Aymn - I got all my packing undone within 12 hours of arriving - but then we have the fun of no luggage, on top of that Aymn is around - I am coming to the conclusion that it is best if he not be around when I arrive home - I think I need a few days of being on my own and getting my Egyptian feet before I jump into dealing with all of his issues. But I somehow have a feeling that this arrangement would not fly - only reason I got away with it in January was because he was still in Saudi Arabia for hajj.

Will endeavour to upload a few pics of the view from Suzanne's place - likely will get on it tomorrow.

Anyway it is good to be home - I guess - no really for the most part I am really glad to be back - it is always wonderful to go to Canada for a visit and see all my family and friends - but it is nice to get back home and have my own place. Even though I arrived home to no hot water, broken water pump, and a thoroughly disorganized place - it is good to be home. The water pump has been repaired - but I am still without hot water. And the kitchen is now reorganized - next on the list is my bedroom - GULP. Wish me luck.

Oh and Aymn does not like my hair colour - he is not really keen on the short hair either - but yesterday when Mom saw it she said it is beautiful and I look 15 years younger - so I think it is here to stay. Tough noogies on Aymn - I feel as if I have made enough changes in my life - and for some strange reason I have reached my limit - lousy attitude I know. When we were discussing his inability to give me my due time - he asked me for more flexibility - told him I was all flexed out - I think it is time for his family to show some flexibility - not going to hold my breath on that one. Time will tell.


Lynn said...

Yay! I am glad you are keeping your hair color and cut! I TOTALLY agree with your mom in law. She sounds like one cool lady.

That "rat" situation freeks me out! I can't even imagine. I am so pretrifide of teeny tiny mice. What a brave lady you are. : D

on the edge said...

Glade you are back home . I know what you mean about the humidity , here in Tripoli , it as been 100%+ all week, and 2 days ago I nearly drowned when I opened the kitchen window on the sea side !I sometomes think that flexablity isn't all that it is cracked up to be , you know what I mean ?LOL !We had rats and mice in our villa , before we moved to The Condo On The Seaside and they were a real pain !Good luck on the screens .Take care , Edgy

Cairogal said...

Glad you made it back in once piece! Looking forward to the photos!

Safa said...

Glad you made it back.....but wish you would have better circumstances....

The "EVA"lutionary said...

Nice to see you posting again and reading about all your adventures!

Anonymous said...

You haven't been on in awhile. I hope everything is ok with you. Take care:)


Anonymous said...

I haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope you are doing ok:)