Thursday, January 25, 2007

Well here it is - I am finally going to get up and running again.

It has been one heck of a ride since I last blogged. I went to Canada to surprise my dad for his 75th birthday and I managed to pull it off this time. He was very surprised - I do not think I will ever forget the look on his face when he came to the door and saw me - there were actually tears in his eyes. Had a good visit with my folks and then headed back to Calgary - dad was very kind and let me use the Sonata while I was in Calgary - saved me a lot of money - I do appreciate their kindness to me. Had a good visit in Calgary with all my friends and family. My visit with Miles was awesome - as usual his lovely wife was fantastic - she is such a wonderful addition to our family. I appreciate her very much. Went to Edmonton for a couple of days and saw friends and family. Was in Canada for 7 weeks and it is never long enough - leaving to come back to Egypt was really difficult this time around. Christmas was a bit of a bust - there was a family flare up and Miles and Shani decamped at 12:30 a.m. on Christmas day. I stayed behind for a few more days - saw Marian - then I headed out back to Calgary - must admit I do HATE busses - the bus was so packed that it was full to the brim - my right knee did not appreciate the close quarters. Once I got back to Calgary, Miles, Shani and I decorated their little tree (a hand me down from a good friend of mine) and Shani cooked a delicious Christmas dinner. Then for New Years they took me out for a wondreful steak dinner. On January 4th I headed back to Egypt.

Was met at the airport by Mr. Mohammed and his brother (who has a car) as well as my sweet brother in law Mr. Sadee. Only drawback was that there really was not enough room for the four people in the car and my luggage. We were jam packed - but we managed. Got home around 3 a.m. - I had slept most of my way back so was not really very tired - so I spent some time unpacking.

Saturday I phoned Sharon and between downpours we headed to Fathalla to get a few essential groceries that I had to have. Suzanne - my dear sweet sister in law - had stocked a bit of produce for me. It is really great having someone so close that I can trust.

Sunday and Monday were spent relaxing, visiting and getting things in order. Tuesday Aymn was scheduled to arrive back from hajj in Saudi Arabia - he had not deigned to let me know what time he would be arriving. His youngest son - Islam - had told Suzanne that they would be arriving around 11 at night. Tuesday evening saw Suzanne and I heading to visit mom - I had a few things for her - mom and dad had sent a box of chocolates and I had brought her a package of truffles - so wanted to visit with her and get the gifts to her. Imagine my surprise when she told us that Aymn was there - he was in the process of calling me. I was not a happy camper. He had been in town for 9 hours and had not let me know - and then the real kicker - he came out of the bedroom all dressed in white and my stomach just dropped - felt as if I had been sucker punched - nothing like rubbing my face in the fact that I had given up my right to wear white at the temple by marrying him - so needless to say I was not really thrilled. Guess Aymn was not happy with Suzanne - we had gone and visited Aunt Lila - when I got back from Canada I was informed that she had had to have a hysterectomy due to cancer - so I told Suzanne I wanted to visit Lila and see how she was - she is a really sweet lady. Aymn's comment to Suzanne was, "Do you take her everywhere with you?" What a jerk.

He then spent three days with his family - had to as people were coming to visit to congratulate Aymn and Amal on their pilgrimage. He had promised to spend a week with me - he phoned me on Thursday and said he would be by on Friday - I asked him what he was going to do if more people came to visit on Friday night- he said he would not go back home. Well guess what - Friday night came along and he had to go home because Aunt Mehasan had phoned during the day to say she was coming over - and of course there is no way in heck that Amal or the kids would tell her that Aymn was at my place - and she could come to visit him here - so he had to go home - needless to say I was not a happy camper - right back on the roller coaster. He managed to spend four days with me before he had to head back to the family - so much for staying with me for a week. I have decided that I am going to work at not getting upset when he breaks his promise. I need to make myself happy - and that is my goal - and if he is along for the ride fine and if he loses out - then fine as well. I need to get myself happy - need to accept the fact that I cannot count on him for anything and not get bent out of shape about it. Aymn headed back to Libya this past Monday - not sure when he will get back - not holding my breath - have learned that it is not good for my health. He also promised me that he would travel with me the next time I travel to Canada and I know there is no way he will be able to because the kids will be in the thick of final exams and he has to ride roughshod over them to make sure they study. Of course I have not told him yet when I plan on travelling again - figure there is no point in it.

I have finally managed to get through all my emails. When I arrived back in Egypt my computer was out being 'fixed'. Unfortunately it could not be fixed - all my pictures, programs and everything were poof gone - such is life. Have learned a very valuable lesson - will be copying all photos to a CD or something.

When I got back to Egypt I had a good friend from the States come and stay with me for a week. Yesterday I received a bouquet of 13 red roses and a beautiful vase - as a house warming gift from Anne. She left back for the States a week ago this past Monday.

It is so hard to believe that it is already January 25, 2007 - man where has the time gone.

Right now I am just going to do some writing - will try to get up and running with the photos in a few days.

Today my niece and nephew finish their mid term exams - so it will be party time for about two weeks before they are heading back to school. My little niece - Mawada - has already got her results back - she got 25/25 in English - I am so proud of her. She did quite well in all her exams - but her Arabic was not as good as her English mark - oh oh. Mawada spent a night with me - she got to sleep with me as she does not like to sleep on her own - and then we dragged her to Carrefour and she had a blast - we had lunch at McDonalds - she does not like McNuggets - but she enjoyed herself immensely.

Today I had to go out and look after some business - and of course the elevator was out of order - so I had to go down 14 floors and then up 14 floors - made it up as far as 10 and then took a break at Suzanne's place.

Have been trying to get international calls on the phone - went in 10 days ago and were told that in two day the service would be added to the phone - but so far no luck. Not sure what the problem is - but must admit it is frustrating.

I think that takes care of most of the business over the last few months. It is kind of nice to be back up and running.


heather said...

glad to see your back, miss chatting with you:)

Safa said...

I'm happy to see you around......will be dropping by regularly once my trouble leaves the country....MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the latest news. Martha is almost ready to have the baby:)

Max and Ada

Anonymous said...

HI!! So glad to see you back on a blog. Love it! Your life is SO interesting. Happy you had a safe trip back. Your time here was so short it seemed though. Thanks again for the "gift" you gave to that family in need. THey were SO happy and it went far. YOu are an angel. Lynn

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, Glad to know you had a safe trip home.