Friday, November 23, 2007

OK OK - I give. I will endeavour to post. I have been struggling to get through all my email - had over 750 at the top - and of course having my computer not cooperate does not help much - I have internet and then I don't - like yesterday I did not have access to the internet all day. And then my left middle finger is a frickn mess - was quite concerned that I was going to actually have to go see a doctor about it - but today it is looking better. It is such a mess - have to be careful or it oozes all over the keyboard - took a pic so you could see it. It is so swollen there is no way I can take my ring off - that was a bit disturbing. Was really really ugly - all purple and swollen - yuck, yuck.

While Mom and Dad were here we went to Marsa Matrouh for a short visit - drove up one day - spent the night and then headed back the next day - I did all the driving as Aymn was still suffering from his concussion - only negative things was the mosquitoes - OMG - they were atrocious. We rented an apartment and got eaten alive - I had lots and lots of bits - as did my dad - mom got a few but they drew the line at munching on Aymn - go figure.

Sharon, Mom and Dad and I drove to Port Said - did it all in one day - unfortunately my right foot objected mightily - unfortunately Sharon suffered from motion sickness - not sure why - after all the roads here in Egypt are all smooth like glass - NOT. But we managed to find our way to the ferry where we crossed the Suez Canal to Port Faoud - drove around for a bit and then headed back to the ferry - and get this - the ferry was FREE - yes you read it right - FREE. We stopped at Pizza Hut for a meal and then headed back to Alex. Unfortunately we took a bit of a wrong turn - got off the main highway - and ended up taking a scenic tour - unfortunately the driver was not really thrilled - I do not like driving at night in this country - but we made it home safe and sound after a few misses.

Mom and Dad and I went to the Old Christian graveyard - such a shame that vandals have destroyed so much - there were markers there from the 1880's - we did a quick jaunt through the Greek Orthodox cemetery - very different - and then Aymn took us to the 'cemetery' where his dad is buried - again very different.

We did manshea twice - once in the evening - then we went back a week or so later - Mom had seen some fabric - but of course we did not find the shop - did not really have enough time to do much searching.

On November 14 Aymn treated my dad and us to a fish dinner at Balbaa. It was very very good. We had fish, shrimp, calamari and my dad had a crab. After dinner we returned home and had cake and ice cream. I had made the traditional Myers birthday cake. Chocolate cake with cooked frosting. All in all it was a good day.

My computer has been in the shop - had to have a new hard drive installed - and still it does not work - must admit it is very frustrating - but welcome to Egypt.

Monday we headed to Cairo - we had planned on going in on Sunday and spending the day visiting Safa and her family and staying at a hotel - but there was nary a hotel to be found - the only one we found that had space was $250 USD a night - and dad said no way - so we stared out at 1:45 a.m. Monday morning. Aymn's friend Mohammed came along with us - he did the bulk of the driving - Aymn got stuck in the very back seat - and found out that he is too tall - his head kept connecting with the roof when we would hit those wonderful bumps in the road. Got to the airport in good time - glad I was not having to drive it - although it does seem quite straight forward and arriving by 5 a.m. meant very little traffic while driving through Cairo proper. Mom and Dad passed through security at 6:00 a.m. for their 8:40 a.m. departure to London.

Then we were off and running - had been informed by Aymn on Sunday that he had arranged for a business meeting Monday morning - well it was actually for noon - ARGH - not my idea of fun. So we parked the car near Al Ahzar (spelling) University and caught a few z's. Then Mr. Mohammed took us to meet his old boss - I got left in the car - the boss asked me to come out and join them but Aymn assured him I would not want to - so there I sat waiting. Spent most of the day in the car - while he conducted business and visited with Mr. Mohammed. And unfortunately Mr. M. has to drive with the windows open - and driving around Cairo did nothing for my sore throat - except to make it much worse. I do not drive with the windows open - I use the a/c and use the recirculate air feature. Then after driving all over Cairo we ended up driving to Marsa Matrouh for more business. I had suggested that Aymn and I could do this -thought we could get some alone time - spend the day and the night - but .... Then we arrived back home around 10:30 p.m. - and he informed me he was going to have to spend the night with the kids - so needless to say I was pissed off. He said he would be back to spend the day (Tuesday with me) and of course he spent the day running around.

Also while in Cairo - or sometime Monday - I managed to get lots of bites - which of course are a welty weepy mess now. I love living in this part of the world - just wish I could find out what it is that bites me and kill it before it gets me.

I had planned on taking a few days off for R&R - then start working today - Friday - doing laundry - changing the bedding and cleaning - but with my finger .....

am now trying to get ready for Miles and Shani's arrival and Christmas - had hoped to start my baking tomorrow - but will have to wait until my finger is a bit healthier. Chatted with Shani - have to get my shopping list ready - LOL. Had a list started - but cannot find it. While Dad was here he fixed my computer desk so it is altogether - but that meant my papers got strewn all over the place - my piles got moved and I cannot find my piles - SIGH. It was great having my dad around - Mr. Handyman - he put up my clocks - fixed the mirror in the bathroom - put up the holder for the shower head - fixed at the windows.

I have started the process of getting the window in my bedroom and in the living room replaced. Had told Aymn that he had until September 30 to get them fixed so they do not leak - and of course he did not do it - so while we were at Carrefour we saw a display of windows - I took the guys business card - and he took my number - called with 24 hours - made a date to come and measure them - he was late for the appointment - he had gotten lost - then they phoned within 24 hours with the estimate. Needless to say Aymn was not happy. But I am resolute in getting the windows fixed so they do not leak water and the wind does not whistle through them. After waking up Wednesday morning to lakes in my bedroom and the living room I am even more determined. They are supposed to be installed by Dec. 8 at the latest. Will give the company a call on Sunday and see what is going on.

Have included a picture of all the scarves I bought when I was in 10th of Ramadan visiting Safa.

Will work on adding more pics tomorrow.


Cairogal said...

Ouch! Take care of that finger, M! Try soaking it in hot salt water regularly. These things in Egypt manage to get way outta hand, and next thing you know you're battling a serious infection. I would it several times/day, and then dry and cover w/ fucidin and a bandage. Keeping it covered is REALLY important. I once burned my leg on a hot water bottle. It blistered, and the next thing you know I have a wound that won't close. The school doctor had warned us, too. Even the smallest wounds need attention.

So glad to see you posting again!!

Lynn said...

Oooooo! WHat happened? Why the wound on your finger and the concussion on your husband's head?

Love the pics!!! So glad to see your dad had such a good birthday. Yummy food!

on the edge said...

Yeah , I second that comment by Lynn ! And you should do what Cairogal said to do , if that doesn't work you better get your skinner butt to the doc's !!!You have lost some more weight ! Good for you Mo !!!! Loved the pic.'s .Would truly love to replace all these whistling windows and doors we have here in The Condo On The Med .When the wind blows we do too , lol !Missed you . That fish dinner and cake looked marvelous Lucy . Hope you get better before your son gets there . Is Ayman nervous about him coming ? Will you have him meet the family while he is there visiting ? Can't wait for the next installment !

egianqueen said...

Lynn - the wound on my finger is self inflicted - sort of - the concussion was a result of his being hit in the head with a tire iron - just gotta love these peaceful muslim men - LOL.

OTE - I doubt that Aymn will be seeing my son and dil while they are here - he is in Libya - asked him if he would be back in time for Miles arrival and he asked when are they coming - I have told him at least 20 times - and after the crap he pulled about my folks being here - I just told him not to bother I would not want to interfere with his working - so if he is not here when they come - he will be informed that he is persona non grata for the entire visit - so 3 weeks of peace and quiet - I will take my buddy Sharon along with us - she is game and more fun than Aymn anyhow. I will likely introduce him to my in-laws though. LOL. I have now wrapped the finger during the day - but leave it unwrapped at night - and thank you so much for your kindness - saying I have lost weight - if it were only true - soon though.

EVA said...

As always it's wonderful to read the updates. The pics are lovely! The finger looks terrible--hope you do get it taken care of! Much love!

Anonymous said...

Yeeeoooowch that finger looks infected and sore! I strongly second the advice re keeping an antibiotic ointment on it and keeping it bandaged, but letting it breathe at night for a while perhaps. Please be careful - there's superbugs running around these parts that can do a lot of damage.

As for Aymn....well darlin' sounds like he's just being himself, and that just doesn't fit with how you live your life, or what you desire. I don't think you made a mistake - that implies that you knew what you were doing and did it incorrectly lol - marrying an arab just comes with a whole lotta challenges and it sounds like he has a few extra ones. Polygyny in of itself is a big challenge for most women, if done fairly - and your situation doesn't fit that.
I really do wish you happiness in whatever you decide - but please at least try to change the pace of the rollercoaster - it's going a little too wild for most women's well-being, eh? :) Take care of you..

PM said...

One of the hardest things for me is admitting that I made a mistake about getting married to this Kuwaiti man. In my case, my parents were even fooled which they and my sister keep telling me in the hopes it will make me feel better. It doesn't, but they mean well. I just keep reminding myself that not making any mistakes means one has not lived life fully. And I have always wanted to live it as COMPLETELY as possible.

God Bless,

Safa said...

OH MY GOD!! It just looks so painful!

And WOW! You sure did buy a lot of scarves! Did you wear the new caftan yet?